The Berkeley Tennis Club is rich with history and tradition of world class tennis. Founded originally in 1906 it was originally located on 2624 Hillegass Avenue. By 1917, the club moved to its present site at One Tunnel Road. The initial membership has grown from 40 to over 500, single, married and family.
The Berkeley Tennis Club has been blessed with great players who have been members. Don Budge, Helen Wills Moody, Helen Jacobs, William Johnson, Edward Chandler, Bill Crosby, Hugh Ditzler, Julie Heldman, William Hoogs, Frank Kovacs, Don Jacobus, Cliff Mayne, Bill Maze, Jim McManus, and Hazel Wightman (of the Wightman Cup) all were members of the BTC. More recently, Jeff Borowiak, Steve Cornell, Doug Sykes, Scott McCain, Peter Wright, Doug Lancaster, Wendell Pierce, Brent Abel, Guy Needham, Dean Schlobaum, Doug King, Tina Heldman, Barrie Bulmore, June Gay, Erika Smith, and Sasha Podkolzina among others are included in the membership.